These Paleo Twix Hearts are a refined sugar and gluten-free dessert recipe that’s perfect for a Valentine’s Day dessert!
How stinkin’ cute is my mom, you guys?!
I’ve mentioned before that she has helped me by creating awesome blog posts – and this adorable Paleo dessert recipe is one of them!
My mom was actually the one who got me started with the paleo diet and crossfit exercises back in 2012. She finally convinced me to attend my first crossfit class (which I almost puked at), and I gained a whole new level of respect for her diet and exercise routine.
When she texted me the other week asking if I wanted her to photograph the Paleo Twix Bar Hearts she made, I instantly got super excited.
Twix are actually one of my all-time favorite candy bars, and having a paleo dessert recipe that tastes just like them is a total slam dunk.
I love that this is a Valentines Day dessert recipe because you use a heart-shaped cookie cutter to cut the bars into hearts.
Now, if you ask me about my opinion of the actual holiday … I don’t get so excited. 😉
This Paleo dessert recipe is set up in layers, so they’re perfect for a weekend when you have some time to let each layer set.
Paleo Twix hearts have a cookie crust, peanut butter/caramel filling layer, and they’re topped off with a layer of chocolate!
So, next time you’re looking for a paleo dessert recipe or healthy Valentines Day dessert recipe to try, give these Paleo Twix Hearts a go!
You simply can’t go wrong with a sweet treat that’s completely gluten-free and refined sugar-free. 🙂
Happy Valentines Day everyone.
- For the shortbread crust:
- 2/3 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, solid
- For the caramel filling:
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter (or almond butter if strictly paleo)
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For the chocolate topping:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon flaky sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine coconut flour and salt in a bowl. Add maple syrup and stir until fully combined.
- Add in the coconut oil and mix until a ball of dough forms. You can use your hands to press out any clumps that form.
- Line an 8x8-inch pan with parchment paper (or grease it well with coconut oil). Press the prepared dough into the pan and bake for 9-11 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool completely.
- In a small saucepan, combine all filling ingredients. Heat, stirring, until everything is melted and throughly combined. Pour over the cooled crust and refrigerate until the filling sets.
- Whisk together chocolate topping ingredients until smooth. Pour the chocolate over the cooled caramel layer. Smooth evenly with a rubber spatula.
- Refrigerate once more until the chocolate hardens.
- Using a heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut the bars into hearts.
- Store any leftovers (if you have them) in the refrigerator.