Lasagna Stuffed Peppers is a low carb recipe for stuffed peppers with meat sauce and cheese.
Is there any food more comforting than lasagna?! If it’s got marinara sauce and cheese, there’s a 99% chance I’ll love it.
Thats why when I saw a similar recipe for Lasagna Stuffed Peppers I knew I had to try a version of this genius low carb idea.
I prefer to use a simple meat sauce in these to add some protein.
You can choose to be fancy and use your favorite bolognese sauce recipe, or simply add ground beef to a jar of marinara sauce.
Assembling Lasagna Stuffed Peppers is as easy as adding a layer of ricotta cheese, then meat sauce, then cover with cheese and bake!
The result is a colorful dish of cheesy, saucy, meaty goodness.
Next time you’re looking for a lower carb dinner recipe, give these Lasagna Stuffed Peppers a try!
Recipe inspired by Wholesome Yum.
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef (93% lean)
- 5 garlic cloves, minced and divided
- 1 (25-ounce) jar lower-sodium marinara sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fat-free ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasonings
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 1/2 (6 ounces) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 3 tri-colored bell peppers, sliced in half, seeds removed
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook ground beef in a skillet until no longer brown. Add 4 garlic cloves, black pepper and red pepper in the last couple minutes of cooking. Drain any excess fat and stir in marinara sauce. Let simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine italian seasonings, ricotta, egg and 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese.
- Spoon a thin layer of the meat sauce in the bottom of a baking dish. Arrange bell pepper halves skin side down.
- Spoon in a layer of ricotta to each pepper halve, distributing evenly. Fill each pepper with meat sauce, then sprinkle each with mozzarella cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 35 to 40 minutes. Remove foil and bake uncovered until the cheese is slightly brown.