Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, food just doesn’t look very good. But luckily, that’s usually no testament to how it tastes. Exhibit A:
So it looks gross but it’s actually good. I got the idea to make Italian stuffed eggplant from Skinny Taste (she found a way to make it look good. sigh). I decided to make this easy vegetarian stuffed eggplant for two recipe because, frankly, I didn’t have any meat thawed to put in it and it’s Sunday and I have a bunch of veggies to use up. However, this recipe would be awesome with ground turkey, sausage, chicken, or ground beef!
Healthy Italian Stuffed Eggplant (vegetarian)
What you need:
1 Italian eggplant
1/4 onion, diced
1 clove garlic
EVOO for cooking
1/4 green pepper, diced
1/4 red pepper, diced
1 can Italian diced tomatoes
Basil, salt and pepper, to taste
Low-fat sliced mozzarella cheese
What you do:
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Cut the eggplant in half and scoop out the interior, leaving 1/4 inch of the skin. Roughly chop eggplant, sprinkle with salt, let stand 10 minutes and blot moisture with a paper towel.
3. Place eggplant skins on a baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and bake for 15 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, saute onion and garlic in olive oil. Add pepper and eggplant, saute until soft.
5. Add tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Cover and let cook 10-15 minutes.
6. Take out the eggplant skins and fill each “boat” with sauce. Bake for about 15 minutes.
7. Top each boat with one slice of cheese, bake until melted (only a few minutes).
Enjoy! Eat the skin and all. I had leftover sauce, which I froze and will use to top pasta.