This simple cabbage and ground beef skillet uses just a few ingredients and is made in one pan – so little clean-up and it’s practically fool-proof.
I call this an Amish recipe because it’s inspired by their simple lifestyle and comforting recipes. Every time we visit our family’s cabin in Montello, WI, I always have to make a stop at the Amish bakery and grocery store. There’s a small farm there that sells fresh produce from their garden, and rather than monitoring it all day, they simply set everything out in a shed and ask shoppers to leave money in a wooden box. HONESTY AND TRUST STILL EXISTS.
We’ve heard the farm is trying to raise money for a small girl’s Leukemia treatment, but we don’t exactly know if that’s true. Nonetheless, I picked up a head of cabbage and a bunch of onions from the Amish farm, along with some grass-fed ground beef from the Madison farmer’s market, and by golly I made a ground beef and cabbage skillet.
This whole thing will take you about 30 minutes and is hearty enough to eat for dinner! It’s also great as leftovers, and might even taste BETTER the next day. If you’ve never tried cabbage, definitely give it a chance. Not only is it budget-friendly, but it’s healthy and delicious when combined with ground beef and tomatoes.
- 1 pound grass-fed ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 - 1 head cabbage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (8 oz) can tomato sauce (I've even used pasta sauce)
- salt and pepper, to taste
- In a large pan, brown ground beef until no longer pink. Add onion and continue cooking until translucent. Drain extra fat if needed (or leave it and don't use the butter). Add garlic and continue cooking for 1 minute.
- Add butter, cabbage, tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt and pepper to the pan and stir to combine. Cover and simmer about 20 - 30 minutes until the cabbage is soft.
For another easy, low-carb dinner recipe, try this Egg Roll in a Bowl.