My Mom’s Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup is one of my all-time favorite soup recipes. It’s super simple homemade vegetable beef soup recipe and makes enough to freeze!
Can I just brag about my family for a quick sec? For my birthday, my mom took me on an amazing weekend trip to Boston … more on that later.
Then, when I got home to a to-do list the size of Mars, my sister was nice enough to make me a weeks-worth of this homemade vegetable beef soup, pumpkin pecan oatmeal cookies, and a sweet potato crust quiche for breakfasts. Am I spoiled or what?!
Don’t you just love a good soup recipe? When I think of my favorite soups, my mind immediately turns to My Mom’s Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup.
I’ve loved this soup since before I loved boys … and that started much too soon.
Since my grandpa is a farmer, we always had an extra freezer in our laundry room full of white packages of beef. We were also fortunate enough to have a mom who cooked us dinner each night.
What that meant was a loooot of slow cooker recipes or dinner. And many of them included beef roast! One of my favorites was a big pot of homemade vegetable beef soup.
Other dinners were a rotating menu of hamburgers, meatballs, meatloaf, pot roasts, beef stroganoff, tacos … all of those classic American comfort meals.
At the time I just wanted pizza or pasta, but now I crave those childhood meals!
There’s nothing gourmet or fancy about this homemade vegetable beef soup recipe, which is why I love it. Tastes like my childhood – comforting, hot and full of delicious chunks of beef and veggies.
Who doesn’t love some good ole’ meat and potatoes. Or, if you’re in my family you’d pronounce it “potatahs.”
Don’t be scared of using frozen vegetables! I actually prefer them in the recipe … something about the texture. Plus, it’s just so much easier than having to prepare your own.
Adding beef broth and water makes a light tomato base that’s not too thick. If you prefer a thicker consistency, sub another can of tomato soup for the water.
This Old-Fashioned Vegetable Beef Soup recipe makes a LOT, and it’s best to adjust the ingredient quantities based on the size of your beef roast.
It’s the perfect slow cooker soup recipe to freeze in portions and thaw to reheat later (if you can stand not to eat it all at once).
So, next time you’re looking for a comforting meal, give this homemade vegetable beef soup recipe a try. It’s a family favorite that will make it in the regular rotation.
1 hrCook Time
1 hrTotal Time
- 1 pot roast (about 2 pounds)
- 2 russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 bag frozen seasoning blend (or just chopped onions)
- 1 bag frozen peas
- 1 bag frozen green beans
- 1 bag frozen corn
- 4 large carrots, chopped
- 1 (32 oz) container beef broth
- 2 (10.75 oz) cans tomato soup
- 1 can filled with water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Season roast with salt and pepper and place in your slow cooker with half a can of beef broth. Cook on LOW for about 10 hours and shred with two forks.
- In a very large pot, saute carrots and seasoning mix in 1 tablespoon oil until tender.
- Add beef, potatoes, remaining veggies, remaining beef broth, tomato soup, water, salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, lower the heat, cover and simmer for about an hour.
- Add water as desired while it cooks.
- This can also be cooked in the slow cooker! Make the roast ahead of time, add all the ingredients to your slow cooker, and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.
Also don’t miss my mom’s recipes for: Monkey Bread, Homemade Apple Sauce, and Famous Cinnamon Rolls from Scratch!